Accelerated Bridge Construction
Accelerated bridge construction is making a name for itself in bridge replacement and now is a realistic option in bridge rehabilitation, proven by successful projects such as Minnesota’s Franklin Avenue Bridge and Pennsylvania’s State Route 30 Bessemer Bridge.
Owners who develop robust ABC programs often enjoy greater support from their communities, their state legislatures and even Congress. According to the Federal Highway Administration, several states are beginning to create policies for using or potentially using ABC techniques in their project development policies.
HNTB has been at the forefront of the ABC trend since it began in 2006. The firm worked with the Transportation Research Board and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials on a six-year project that resulted in the Strategic Highway Research Program Report S2-R04-RR-2: Innovative Bridge Designs for Rapid Renewal: ABC Toolkit. The report includes national ABC design standards, design examples and construction specifications to guide public agencies on implementation.
HNTB also has a growing track record of involvement in successful ABC projects, including:
- State Route 299 over Interstate 24 in Northeast Georgia
- The Franklin Avenue reconstruction project in Minneapolis
- State Route 30 Bridge over Bessemer Avenue in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- I-77 bridge deck replacement in Ghent, West Virginia
- I-84 over Dingle Ridge Road in Brewster State, New York
- Lake Champlain Bridge Replacement between Crown Point, New York, and Chimney Point, Vermont
- Replacement of two New Jersey Transit bridges in Plainfield, New Jersey
- The P-954 Flyover Bridge Project in Manama, Bahrain
- U.S. 6 Keg Creek Bridge ABC Project in Council Bluffs, Iowa
HNTB bridge experts
Chris Price, PE, is national bridge practice leader for HNTB. He has more than 30 years of experience serving the firm in a variety of leadership roles, his expertise includes the role of design-build in the bridge market, innovations in bridge building and accelerated bridge construction.
Bala Sivakumar, PE, has led national bridge research projects on accelerated bridge design for TRB under the Strategic Highway Research Program and was the primary author of the Strategic Highway Research Program Report S2-R04-RR-2: “Innovative Bridge Designs for Rapid Renewal: ABC Toolkit.”
Selected HNTB thought leadership:
- Using ABC in rehabilitation projects: A practical application
- How to implement ABC
- Accelerated bridge construction overview: A solution for reducing costs
- Accelerated Bridge Construction
- Roads & Bridges: A modern crossover
- American Infrastructure Magazine: Franklin Avenue Bridge, History in the Remaking
- BuiltWorlds episode of "Lightbulb": How we're building bridges better, faster — and with less impact to traffic
- Equipment World's Better Roads: Crews demo and replace Penn. bridge in just 57 hours (Time-lapse video)