Mike Sweeney, PE
Recognized as a proven industry leader, Sweeney has 31 years of experience, including expertise in transit design, construction management and program management, alternative financing and delivery, as well as disaster recovery and resilient infrastructure.
As leader of the Eastern Region, which includes the firm's Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Southeast Divisions, Sweeney leads office locations' growth strategies and robust talent recruitment initiatives and oversees key client relationships. His role allows the region to be best poised for rapid and tremendous growth.
Sweeney is responsible for achieving and maintaining HNTB's clear reputation as the leader in the transportation infrastructure industry. In addition, Sweeney develops and grows the division by effectively partnering with elected officials, top agency management and HNTB national leadership and firmwide resources.
Previously, Sweeney served in various high-profile leadership positions since joining HNTB in 2012, including New York office leader and Northeast Division president. Major, complex infrastructure programs he has overseen include the New NY Bridge, Boston’s South Station, Whittier Bridge and Superstorm Sandy disaster recovery projects.
● American Public Transportation Association, member
● APTA High-Speed Rail Committee, member
● American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association, member
● New York Building Congress, board of directors
● Regional Plan Association, board of directors
● Master of Science, construction engineering and management, Polytechnic Institute of New York University
● Bachelor of Science, civil engineering, Pratt Institute in Brooklyn